June 27, 2011

Blue Passion Flower

Yesterday Carlinhos and I came back to our apartment and discovered this amazing flower blooming in our backyard. I have never seen this flower before and was in awe of its beauty and uniqueness - it didn't seem like it should be growing in the middle of Los Angeles.

































At first we just saw one flower, but then when we looked up and saw that this flower is a vine and it had kind of taken over the back wall and the electric wires that are running up there. There were multiple blooms, and after more examination of the plant, we could see that it had little orange egg-shaped fruits.

So as I said, I wasn't sure what kind of flower it was until Mom informed me that it is a Passion Flower. And after some google-ing, I found out that this one in particular is a Blue Passion Flower and that the fruit is edible! And the kicker is that it is a native of South America, and more specifically BRASIL!
One of my favorite things to eat EVER IN THE WORLD is Mousse de Maracuja (Passion Fruit Mousse), which is basically like an ice cream made from passion fruit. I am so excited to try to make this with our new little edible discoveries! It will be interesting to see if the flavor of this type of passion fruit is as tasty as what I'm used to...I will update you as soon as I find out! :)

2 comments :

  1. i can't even take it it's so pretty! i hope the fruit is yummy too, how awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I have to inject worry into the situation...I think you should take a cutting of the plant and one of the fruits to a nursery before eating!!?'...but they sure LOOK tasty & edible:) xoxoM

    ReplyDelete