November 14, 2011

Slow Cooker Carnitas

Here is a recipe for a healthier version of carnitas than one where the meat is deep fried in lard.  This one was very easy to make and came out pretty good.  I must admit though, carnitas made with lard is much tastier.  DUH!  Anyways here is how I made this version:

First I browned the 3.5 pound pork shoulder roast which was seasoned with salt and pepper, and placed it in the slow cooker.

Then in the same pot that I browned the roast, I added a chopped onion and 2 minced garlic cloves, and sauteed those until they started to soften. Then I poured in a Corona (you can use any Mexican lager) to deglaze the pan and scrape up the brown bits in the pot.

Then I poured the beer mixture over the pork roast in the slow cooker. I zested a large orange and a lime, and added the it all along with the juice of both. And finally I added in a tablespoon of oregano.

The whole thing cooked in the slow cooker for 5 hours. After that I shredded the meat and made tacos topped with homemade guacamole, chopped onions, cilantro and a squeeze of lime! 

1 comment :

  1. you gotta tell me which slow cooker you have. i think i really need to get one!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete