July 20, 2011

Taberna

Last night Carlinhos took me out on a date to a new Mexican restaurant that opened in Beverly Hills - Taberna.  It was pretty good, nothing to rush back for (except the flan).  I predict it will not last long with the prices and the average tasting food.  Here is what we had:  they bring a basket of "chips" - a mix of blue corn chips, plantain chips, and yucca chips - with a red and a green salsa (the red was best).

I ordered this margarita in honor of Shauna's last post.  It was tequila, cointreau, orange juice, ginger and jalapeno.  It was ok - nothing too special.  I don't like a margarita to be too sweet, but this one was lacking a bit of sweetness in my opinion.


For my entree I had Cochinita Pibil.  It was good but in an average kind of way.  It was served with pickled onions, fried bananas and crema.


Carlinhos had chicken and chorizo "do it yourself" tacos.  It was basically the same set up as above minus the accoutrements.  And how can you have tacos without accoutrements you might ask.  Well we asked the same thing!

The redeeming part of the meal was the dessert.  Flan!  And it was lovely!  It was a thicker, more cheesecak-ier flan that you normally get at a Mexican restaurant.  Not the best we've ever had, but a very good contender.

Overall, I'd say it was average.  Carlinhos and I had a nice date on the patio of the restaurant since it was such a nice night out.  But as for the food, I'm not so sure I would rush back with the price to taste ratio being a little off balance.

No comments :

Post a Comment