July 24, 2011

Fish Tacos!

In keeping with the steady stream of Mexican-flavored posts we've had lately, I thought I would tell you about some fish tacos I've made recently. I love fish tacos. They are right in my wheelhouse in terms of flavor, and they are just so easy to make and there are so many ways to make them. A while ago we had Heather and Luke over and I made swordfish tacos with achiote and orange, which is a typical Yucatán way to marinate fish.


The marinade was orange juice, lime juice, oregano, garlic, habanero chile, achiote paste, allspice, lemon-infused olive oil, cilantro, fresno chile, sugar, salt and pepper. The cubed fish marinates in the fridge for 3 hours. I served it with shredded lettuce, lime wedges, warm corn tortillas, a really nice roasted pineapple-habanero salsa and last but not least, a refreshing michelada (if you're not sure what that is don't worry I'm sure there will be a separate post about those soon). Very tasty.



More recently, Jimmy and I made a really awesome grilled mahi-mahi taco. Mahi is one of my favorite fishes to make tacos with, even when it's not summer grilling time, you can just cook the fish in a skillet and serve with a selection of whatever yummy garnishes you have on hand: shredded cabbage, sliced radishes, sour cream, cilantro, lime wedges, avocado, red onion, scallions, tomatos, pickled jalapeños, etc.

This time I did a dry-rub of paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, thyme, cayenne pepper, salt & pepper. We grilled the fish for about 5 minutes per side then coarsely shredded it and some cabbage for serving. I made a fresh pico de gallo - tomatoes, onions, scallions, cilantro, lemon juice, jalapeño, salt & pepper; and crema: sour cream with a little heavy cream, s&p and a little Tabasco sauce. It was SO good!!!!!

2 comments :

  1. YUM and YUM! You have inspired me to put fish tacos in the line-up! and I love the different variations of crema - the last one I did was sour cream, lime and cumin. And now I want to make the one you made next!
    Also, please tell me what that cucumber beverage is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh! that crema sounds good. the beverage is a classic margarita (tequila, triple sec, lime juice, a dash of agave nectar) with a cucumber. the cucumber makes it super tasty and refreshing!!!

    ReplyDelete