July 28, 2011

Ceviche!!

Alright folks, I'm super excited about this. I made a really delicious ceviche this last weekend. It blew our minds it was so refreshing and flavorful. As you know, it was really hot up in here last weekend, I mean REALLY hot. So it was a good time to do some no-heat cooking. Ceviche is the perfect summer delight. The version I did was a Yucatán Style Ceviche with Shrimp and Fish, and I served it with guacamole and tortilla chips.

Before I give you the recipe let me just say a word about that other perfect summer treat, and one of my favorite things in the world to make and to eat: guacamole. From the east to the west, we Finns be making the bad-ass guacamole. We have been for years; I remember it always being around since we were little kids and Aunt Pam had that huge avocado tree in her backyard. We all make it in varying ways; it's so easy to experiment with and add to. My standard recipe is avocados, diced red onions and jalapeños, lots of cilantro and lime juice, salt and pepper, and I like to leave it relatively chunky. So simple and sooo yummy.



And, it goes great with ceviche!! This recipe made enough for me and Jimmy to have left-overs. The second day it was still really good; the shrimp was a tad chewier but the flavors were still great and it was a bit spicier. Enjoy!

3/4 - 1 lb white fish fillets such as grouper, sea bass or even halibut or cod (I used mahi mahi)
8-10 large shrimp, peeled
1/2 large sweet onion such as Vidalia, Maui or Walla Walla
1 medium habanero pepper (I used 1 1/2)
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1/8 cup cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup tomato, seeded and diced


Cut the fish in 1/4-inch slices; remove any bones as you go. Place the fish in a glass or glazed ceramic dish large enough to hold it in one layer. Shell and devein the shrimp, rinsing them only if necessary to rid them of grit. Slice the shrimp in half lengthwise and chop in small pieces. Layer the shrimp over the fish. Slice the onion in half lengthwise, then crosswise in thin slices. Layer the onion over the fish and shrimp. Toast the habaneros for 3-5 minutes in a dry skillet to release the oil from the cells. Stem, seed and sliver the habaneros and scatter them over the onions. Season the dish with salt and pour on the lime and orange juices. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight, or until the fish and shrimp are opaque. Add cilantro and diced tomato, toss and serve at cool room temperature.


1 comment :

  1. It all looks so good!!! great post!!! p.s. i'm still waiting on your michelada post! xoxo

    ReplyDelete