October 9, 2012

Aguachile con camarones

I went to Rosarito, Mexico about a week ago and one of the people I was with ordered Aguachile at one of the many meals that we had that day.  I took a bite and immediately told myself that I need that make that when I get home!  It is so tasty!  It is basically spicy shrimp ceviche made with lime juice, cilantro, chile and salt - YUM!  I found a recipe online and tried it out.  It's so easy to make and can be made for an appetizer or a meal.  I made it with serrano chiles but I think next time I will try jalapeno because I think I like the flavor better. 

Note: I know some people worry about eating raw seafood and getting sick from it. Let me discuss this quickly. When you marinate raw fish or shrimp in acid i.e. lime juice, it denature the proteins in the fish giving it that cooked texture that heat does as well. However if the fish has a parasite, the acid will not kill that. But GOOD seafood should not have parasites, so if you are comfortable eating sushi then you should be ok with eating ceviche as well - or aguachile in this case. You could also just make this recipe using frozen shrimp (freezing kills most parasites) to avoid any freak accidents, but just keep in mind the shrimp will probably be a little tougher than if using fresh shrimp. Hope that helps you scared-y-cats out there!

2 comments :

  1. Yummmm... Mexican flavors are back. I made tortilla soup last night! This looks delish. I'm gunna do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made tortilla soup also!! Great minds....:]

    ReplyDelete