August 8, 2011

Brazilian-style Flan (Pudim de Leite)

I am on a mission to find the best flan recipe out there.  I prefer the Brazilian Style to the Mexican Style because it has a creamier texture and better flavor in my opinion.  The main difference is condensed milk for Brazilian vs evaporated milk for Mexican.  The best I've ever eaten and the one that I compare all other flans to, is at Fogo De Chao a Brazilian Churrascaria in LA.  In Portuguese it is called pudim de leite.
Over the weekend I made pudim de leite that turned out pretty good.  I used one can of sweetened condensed milk, filled the same can up with half and half, and 3 eggs all mixed together.  I melted one cup of sugar in a cake pan, then poured the egg mixture over that, and finally cooked it in a water bath in a 350 degree oven for about an hour.
The consistency of this one was a little smoother than when I made it the last time with regular milk rather than half and half.  The next time I may even try heavy cream and see how that comes out!

2 comments :