September 12, 2011

Smorgasburg!!!!


Ohmygod you guys, I'm really excited about this. My new studio in Williamsburg is just a few blocks from Smorgasburg, which just the other day Siobhan was asking me about, because she read about it in Bon Appétit. It's this awesome outdoor food market that happens every Saturday, right on the River with a great view of the city. It's like a flea market, but with really amazing delicious food for sale instead of art and antiques and stuff. It's been there since this Spring, but I finally went for the first time this last weekend.

There is such a broad range of vendors here, selling really good, fresh, "artisanal" street dishes in a wide variety of styles and cuisines, as well as prepared items like pickles, jams, candies, etc. The concept is to foster the connection between upstate farmers and city purveyors of high-quality local food. Anyway I wanted to try so many different things... this was my first course:



It was a Heritage Pork Rillette with yummy mustard on a crostini. $3 and SO good. This vendor, "Betto" also had Pork Belly meatballs, which I will definitely have to go back for.

Next, I had a Panko-Chicken Taco from "Cemitas."



I would have gotten the signature Cemita - a big fat mexican sandwich - if I hadn't already had my first course, so instead I asked the nice girl in front of me if I could take a picture of hers. As you can see, it's huge. I'll have it another time:



After my taco I did some more grazing. This was a sample of duck bacon with hot plum chutney, very tasty (and I bought some apple butter from this lady):


It started to pour rain so I had to hang out at this lovely sweet stand, and the gentleman there instisted I try all his brittle and toffee. The strange and exotic brittle you see below was amazing.., read the ingredients! Lemongrass!? Daring right? But so yummy: 


Then I saw this mini cupcake stand. OMG, little bite-sized cakes for a dollar or 2! I had the Chocolate Lavender. So delish:

Another one for next time... LOOK AT THESE DOUGHNUTS. In case you can't read the tags, there is a hibiscus frosting, a passion fruit.. and they're just huge and so fresh looking.

I took home some other treats like a fantastic cilantro-lime-jalapeno condiment - which was perfect with the baked salmon we had for dinner last night - and a bottle of cold brew iced coffee for the studio. There are so many more things I have to try. For example, the longest line was at "Mighty Quinns," for their slow-smoked brisket sandwich:


I've heard this is amazing, and the line confirmed. This is tops on my list for next time. All in all, it was a great lunch and my tail was SUPER wagging here folks, I can't wait to go back. 

1 comment :

  1. OMG! I'm so jealous!!! and now i'm starving!!! I NEED to go there! and why isn't there anything like this in LA?!

    ReplyDelete